Sunday, February 10, 2013

OK, I Lied.




A display cupboard that followed me from shop to shop, and is now in Monroe at Hodge Podge Art, Antiques and Interiors. Don't ask me to sell it.



I'm done buying furniture!”

Those words flew out of my mouth as I closed one of my antique booths a few weeks ago. I didn't want to deal with moving more furniture, so I sold below cost, and gave away many items. In less than twenty-four hours my space was empty. All handled with three phone calls. Another dealer even swept the booth floor for me after all was gone, as a thank you for her bargains. I never stepped into the shop, except to pick up the small old green washstand I wanted to bring home, after everything else was gone. The relief of not having to haul things again made sense to me. I lost money, sure, but I did have a check waiting for me the first of this month. Some of my dealer buddies who read this will laugh. They know me well. They know my crazy buying and selling habits

Been there, done that, got a T-shirt. I really should wear that shirt. This is how I've always done business. Good thing I had a full time job when I started this insanity I label 'antique dealer'.

Smalls have never interested me. I love old furniture. The bigger the better. (The disclaimer here, I am an art addict, we'll talk about that another day!)

Over the years I have bought my share of old wonderful cottage cupboards and tables. I've never sold one for profit. I cling to it until I have to let it go, then a dealer friend takes it from me, and I sigh watching it leave. Sometimes I'll buy it back, only to repeat the process.

Big old cupboards painted in soft colors; green, pink, blue, and white. Great farm tables in pastel colors. Old paint that crackled from age naturally, and when touched, small dried droplets flake to the floor, and smooth old paint that felt slick and cool, under the touch of your hand. I love them all.

Old paint. Pastel paint. Dark paint. Paint weathered over the years. Doesn't get any prettier in my book.

When I find a piece I love, I buy because I am smitten. I pay too much, if I mark it for sale at all, I price it to high. Then I work hard to find ways to keep it.

Two words helped me put off the inevitable. Display piece. That's a term that has cost me mega bucks. My shop in Lawrenceville (and before in Old Town, Lilburn) was full of old white cupboards, not for sale, but for display. They followed me to Monroe, and sit proudly in Hodge Podge Art, Antiques, and Interiors, surrounded by vintage clothes and stuffed with old western belts and purses. You won't find a price tag on them. Don't call to ask me how much? My answer is the same, for display only.

My house is full. My booth can't hold another cupboard. Like a drug, I swore off furniture. Regularly. For a few weeks. Maybe longer.

Then yesterday, I went to an art exhibit, but stopped into a shop I love that was right next door. One of their display pieces I've coveted for years, sported a price tag. A huge old white paint primitive cupboard. I stopped dead in my tracks. My heart rate flew into stroke pace. I am glad the cupboard was tucked in a back corner so no one saw me snatch the price tag off like it was free money in a street gutter.

It was full of charm, the paint chipped so perfectly. It was the type of farm cupboard that dreams are made of. Worn and friendly. Condition is shakey at best. It had been cobbled back together. One quirky corner was replaced on the backside. Two doors opened to reveal a few deep oversized shelves. I think it could hold a TV, if I tried. But I have a piece that I love for my TV. I didn't care. It was for sale.

Mine. Finally.

I trotted up to the front desk, flopped the tag down, and, knowing the shop policies, pulled out my check book, and spoke.

"Layaway, please."

I could have paid for it, but what would I do with it? There is no room at home...not yet.

"I'll get it next month. That way you don't have to unload it today."

The shop owner smiled as she wrote up my ticket. She knows my buying habits too well. I used to be a dealer in her shop a few years back. When I left, I left her half my booth.

I danced out the front door to meet a friend for dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

Seated in our booth, I ordered a Margarita.

"I've got to tell you about my new cupboard. Just put it on layaway!"


She shook her head as she laughed at me. “I thought you swore off large pieces of furniture."

I was about to pop a chip, dripping with salsa, into my mouth, but took a second to answer her silly statement.

"I lied!"

I know myself well, and this won't be the last time you hear me say that.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful addiction! Much safer to collect big cupboards than to be a gambler. *smile* I felt like I was shopping with you. My girlfriends always tell me off for buying too many skirts on our treasure hunts. Next I'll need to buy some big cupboards to fit them in. ;) Thanks for sharing, lovely Barbara. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I mean, it could be worse...there are much more dangerous things your could be addicted to!

    ReplyDelete