Monday, February 18, 2013

Mad Hatter


Living the cottage in my mind.
    
      I was a mad woman yesterday. Not mad as in angry, but mad as in c-r-a-z-y. The house bug bit me again and the entire afternoon was spent on Google researching homes in the Athens/Monroe area. Saturday's lunch in Monroe to talk about the publishing world brought back my hidden desire for change! A visit to Hodge Podge Art, Antiques, and Interiors flamed the fire, as I thought I could spend more time working my booth. The forty-mile round trip drive does not appeal to me most days. But what if I lived within a few miles. Would I do better? What if I had a dream job in the area. Would I love that?
     The same old question of change filled my mind with visions I could not put to rest. Change. A word I love. I word I fight. There are days I win that fight and change is huge. I'm living proof that someone who loves to sleep late and nests in to her home, can still accomplish miracles. Some days I surprise myself, other days I fret.
     Yesterday I did what I do best when I try to imagine myself in a different place. A different house. A new neighborhood. I spend hours looking at real estate ads. I fell in love with every click of my mouse. My imagination went wild as I saw myself living on four acres of land in an 1800s cottage. Romantic notions of an intown cottage with a white picket fence where I could sit on my porch and wave to neighbors danced through my head. One huge Victorian with its many bedrooms brought back my desire to have a bed and breakfast. I was on visual overload.
     It isn't silly to think about moving. I am still on a journey trying to find my place. I am happy where I am, but time will take me where I am supposed to be. My heart tells me I am moving forward and a new location will speak to me. The last laugh will be on me if I finally figure out I am already here. My hope is that I won't be in a straight jacket for that revelation!
     At 5PM yesterday I was still in my PJ's, bed head hair, and six dogs napping, so happy I was back in my manic computer house hunt mode, that I was home with them. At 6PM I was due to meet friends for dinner at a little Mexican restaurant two miles from my house. A fast shower, a quick change into jeans and a sweater, a fluff of my hair, a bit of lip gloss, and I flew out the door. Once again I chided myself on my inability to get somewhere on time, but applauded myself on how quickly I can pull together to be presentable! Another schizophrenic trait of mine. But I talk about that on a different blog.
     My two girlfriends waved as I rushed through the doorway. They had their Margaritas. I eased down next to them and flagged the waiter, who brought me the same.
     “Late again. So what were you doing on the computer today?”
     The room was cozy, the company warm. I was two miles from my house in the heart of Decatur. Some folks think it doesn't get any better than this. They may be right.
     My love of houses may be my undoing, but it is a fun way to go.
     Below are pictures of my latest picks, all within my price range, but all need work.
     That is not a reality factor for me, the work. It doesn't matter. These are simply the cottages in my mind. Look at what I found this go round!




   












1 comment:

  1. Oh Barbara ~ You and I have the same love of homes I can tell.

    I can't tell you how many hours I've spent looking at homes with land in GA and NC over the past few years. Some we liked, most we didn't. A strange thing started happening to me though, I would get out of the websites and start looking around at our little place and realized we were already blessed with what we had. Granted, it's small, most people wouldn't be able to handle the size, around 700 sq. ft. it's on 1/4 acre on a busy 4 land road, that used to be two lanes until the county pulled imminent domain on us. But, we worked through the years since 1973 making it into our little haven from the crazy, hectic world that we live in. I love pulling into our driveway as it's quieter, cooler too and peaceful, even though the traffic is racing past.

    I'm not going to be looking anymore as what I have is my home, filled with lots of love, memories and still some projects to work on that were left in various stages of completion.

    Enjoy staying right where you are dear heart.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete