Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Cozy Fireplace Mantel Can Warm Up The Bedroom


Antique tin ceiling tiles in old pink paint make up the center of the fireplace mantel.
 
 
My old bedroom had a huge amount of charm. When the sunlight filtered in the room, the apple green chest of drawers sparkled. Ice cream colors made for a happy room. One day I looked at all the sherbet colors and realized it was just too much. Too many odd pieces of furniture directly across from my bed. The green chest, an aqua book case, vintage hampers, and other sweet pieces appeared disjointed. I wanted something that was colorful, but restful. I sold most of the bedroom pieces to purchase the old chipped paint sea foam green Victorian mantel. I'd loved it for over a year in a shop in Monroe - then decided it would be the perfect piece to tie the room together.
 
The mantel had to be anchored above the baseboard. It looked as though it was floating in air. I took out my acrylic paints and added an 'extension' to the bottom, over the baseboard.
 
 
 
My old book case was placed before the mantel, but it didn't give the charm I wanted. A few months ago I purchased twelve antique ceiling tiles, in the sweetest old pink paint. I decided to fill the inside of the fireplace with the old tin tiles. I used my E6000 jewelry glue to adhere the tiles to the white wall. Tape held them in place while the glue dried. Next I cut one tile to place around the light switch. When all was in place, I grabbed my acrylic paints again and filled in around the tiles with grey paint to pull them together. Most had grey edges, but some of the white wall peeked through. A quick line of paint took care of that problem.
 
I put the book case in another room and brought in an old pink paint bench to place in front of the mantel, piled on a few books, a plant, and an old chippy pink paint watering can. I love the results.
 
Below are photos, before and after. I will post pictures of the entire room tomorrow.
 
 
The original look across from my bed. Just too busy.
 
 

Mantel with old bamboo bookcase. Still not quite right.
 
 
 
Mantel with old tiles and bench.
 
 
 
 
The finished product. I love how it turned out!
 

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Barbara. You have such a creative side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Barbara I love how it turned out too. You have quite a talent and I love your style.

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh just wonderfully romantic, LOVE IT!!!!!! ~~Angie~~








    o

    ReplyDelete