Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My Kitchen - A Pinch Of This And A Dash Of That...The Perfect Recipe

The end of my kitchen a month ago.

     The end of my kitchen has held many different antiques over the years. Two years ago I put the old paint mantel against the wall. It gives a bit of character. My heart stood still when I found it at a favorite shop. Someone painted the flowers, but the black paint is old and chippy. The gateleg table and Victorian folding chairs came in last fall when I needed a spot for my Italian exchange student to grab breakfast before school. Now that she is gone, the room seemed crowded. The old green roll-up shade was there when we bought the house almost thirty years ago. I think it held ten year's worth of dust.
     My biggest beef with the kitchen was a huge fluorescent  light that dominated the ceiling. It did give out great light, but it was full of dead bugs most days. I couldn't lift the cover off by myself, so night after night I looked up and saw bugs fly in to the light and fry.


Old ceiling light.


Other end of the kitchen. Ceiling fan was nice, but brass, I changed for one in chrome 


curtains and new ceiling light



new ceiling fan


The baker's table that got me in trouble! Sweet old robins egg blue paint chairs.
All came from Davis Street Antiques in Monroe, Ga.



      With limited funds, I opted to change the feel of the room with a new ceiling fixture and fan – both in chrome. I put in the faux tin ceiling tile backsplash behind the stove and across the back of the sink. My handyman took care of repairing the holes in the ceiling from the old fixture and then put up a new coat of crisp white paint. I plan to repaint the walls and doors white to make the room sparkle.
     The green shade came down, replaced with a Martha Stewart chrome curtain rod for under $30. My valance is a long curtain turned lengthwise. It came from the thrift store for $1.99. A matching valance is over the kitchen door.
     The light fixture and fan came in at about $60 each at Home Depot. The back splash under $30.
     My big splurge was the old baker's table with pale blueish-green paint and an old zinc top for $225 and two chippy old blue chairs that cost $39 for the pair. I think the room has an English cottage feel to it.
I rarely cook, but I love my old cottage furniture. You can tell where I put my dollars!   Below is my kitchen now. Still waiting a coat of cottage white paint.














  

3 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen and all of the pretty bits that add so much color and character.

    Thank you for sharing.

    I am trying to put our old tongue and groove pine boards back up on a 4' section, and am having the dickens of a time. Getting frustrated to say the least!!!!

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the atmosphere in your new kitchen. It only proves that lack of funds is not a reason not to make something beautiful. The ceiling fan looks great! Also, they are perfect ventilation for kitchens for they make the flying pests away.

    Staci Severns @ Brooklyn Fan

    ReplyDelete