Monday, May 13, 2013

Don't Count Your Chickens Before They Hatch


    
My hen's nest on the fence leading to the patio.

     I now have a hen's nest hanging on my fence to remind me to take a breath before I hatch an idea. My dreams are always way ahead of my reality. I've never gotten the answer to what came first, the chicken or the egg? So I do things out of order. Some days I run around like a chicken with its head cut off. An example is my latest purchase. Money spent for something I didn't need. My nest egg is pretty much gone with my silly spending. But I don't worry too much. I've learned to keep my sunny side up.
     The purchase came about because of two words. 'Urban Farming'. The phrase is so hot, you could fry an egg on it. Friends of mine in metro Atlanta have hens in their back yard and fresh eggs for breakfast. I didn't want to be left with egg on my face, I wanted to be part of the movement. The cottage in my mind could be a tiny city farm. I decided I'd have chickens too.
     Another idea that could label me a bird brain.
     I drove home from a day of shopping in Monroe, Georgia, with a huge old hen house in the back of the van. I strutted my stuff into the driveway and unloaded my vehicle, only then realizing how large the hen's nest was. I had to drag it across the driveway up to my privacy fence by the patio. Since I was no spring chicken, I huffed and puffed until I got it in place. The sound of metal grating on concrete ruffled my feathers. It also alerted the pack of hounds I was home. Six dogs howled from the kitchen wanting out in the yard.
     It was at that moment I realized I'd laid an egg. My grand idea was not everything it was cracked up to be. How would I have chickens in a yard that was full of dogs? I felt like a dumb cluck.
     There was no sense to brood over it.
     Quit your squawking! I chided myself.
     While I couldn't have an urban farm, I could decorate farm style..
     My ideas had a pecking order.
     I set about to feather my nest.
     First I hung the hen's nest on the fence wall that leads to my patio. It won't hold chickens, but I can plant flowers in it.
     That made me as happy as a rooster in a hen house.
     Next I pulled an old peaches sign from the pile of things to go to my shop and hung it by my front door.
I was fussin like an old hen with my decorating ideas.
     There is one final egg in my basket, but I will surprise you with it later, after a bit more work is done on the place.
     Yes, this is a bit of a cock and bull story, but I am excited about my farm accents and feel I have something to crow about!
     Next time I worry I've jumped into something too quickly and the sky is falling, I'll remember what Oscar Wilde said: "People who count their chickens before they are hatched, act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately."
      Perhaps going off half cocked is not such a bad idea after all!

Farm style peaches sign. Old and rusty. Perfect by my front door.

The original lady chicken farmer - a romantic notion for sure in her white dress.


Waiting for a Margarita!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! Had me chuckling all the way through, or should I say clucking.

    I love the nesting box hanging on the fence and the peaches sign looks great on your entry wall.

    Love the old photos of the lovely lady with chickens.

    I think it would be great fun to sit and sip a margarita with you.

    Happy Home decorating and Happy Gardening, which I look forward to seeing more of both in pictures.

    I am making curtains today for the bedroom, using upholstery fabric (had this sitting in a stack) and hand sewing, so I better get busy. I want them up before bed tonight. :-)

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete