Monday, January 28, 2013

Dreaming In Pink



Chloe, Pretty In Pink


My morning ritual is to feed six dogs, run them into the yard, and put on a pot of coffee. Lately I've been drawn to Hawaiian Hazelnut. I like my coffee dark and strong. By the time I am ready to move into the sunroom and get to work at the computer, the dogs are ready to come in. My routine is the same every morning. I can't sleep in, because the dogs are restless and nudge me on the bed to feed them. No rest for the wicked. But that is what you get when you sleep with dogs.


Today was no different from yesterday. You can find me in my sunroom, perched in a vintage, barrel shaped white wicker chair, rose fabric tattered from too many dog paws wanting to play. I'd pitch the chair, but it is perfect for my seven pound Chihuahua, Chloe, to jump on and curl up behind my back. She keeps my posture straight and I love the warmth of her body snuggled next to mine.

I wanted to work on my new book this morning. Three years worth of writing has to be organized into tidy chapters and I am not tidy this morning. I am restless. The sky is grey again, dreary, cool. Work can wait. I need a distraction. It is better for me to look at houses online, than to hit Petfinder.com. We know where that got me.


My favorite color is pink. Girly, fun, sassy, sweet. The cover of my book, The Unfaithful Widow, is pink and white. A happy color for a widow memoir. That was important for me, since my book talks about hope not grief. It is hard to be sad surrounded by pink.

Pink is perfect for a dreary day. This morning I am dreaming of pink.


I love old pink cupboards, pink mirrors and large pink roses. I wish I were brave enough to paint my house a soft pink, but it is an older brick ranch with a split rail fence across the front yard, down by the street. Pink would be horrifying on this house. Yet, in my dreams I do see it painted a soft yellow that would be like the morning sun in the spring when the pink azaleas bloom. Painting my red brick house is something that I think about often. This may be the summer.


Should I paint my brick yellow since I am chicken to paint it pink?


“Why paint brick?” A horrified male friend almost shouted at me over lunch. “It will chip and peel.”


If only I'd be that lucky. I want a chippy, peely, old, soft yellow brick house, with a hint of brick peeking through. Now that is romantic to me! Sometimes guys just don't get it. My late husband would be mortified to know I'm thinking paint over brick. I'll wink at the heavens if I decide to do it and he'll know he's in my thoughts!


So, instead of working on my book this morning, I grabbed a second hot steaming cup of coffee and went up to Google pink houses. I didn't want just any pink house. I wanted to see what pink houses were for rent. I found beach houses, cottages, Victorian homes, all painted in shades of pink, from soft to bright, and most could be attained, for a rental fee, for a lovely vacation.


Vacation. Now that is a word I haven't used in a few years. Not since I adopted six dogs from my local animal shelter. It's next to impossible to travel and worry about that many dogs. The last trip I took, my pet sitter cost more than my plane ticket. I was so happy to get back to the pups, I vowed I would not leave them again.

But they don't stop me from wondering where I could go if I decided to pony up my petsitter's fee again.

This morning I am a dreamer, dreaming in pink.


Pink Rental Homes With Links To Their Webs.


 Pink Mango Cottage, Florida



Cape Charles




Bahamas



Martha's Vineyard


Top and Bottom Photo
House For Rent, Alvin, Tx
(not vacation, year round)



2 comments:

  1. Pink is my favorite color, too, so I can understand your love of it. And you're right, it's impossible to be sad when surrounded by pink. The pics are lovely...PINK RULES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I mentioned in a comment on another post about liking brick, but have seen brick painted and it looked nice too. The soft yellow above is nice. So is the muted pink home in the two pictures above. I think it's a matter of preference and what makes your heart sing.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete